Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Wisconsin Bike Summit 4/19--Who is in?



We're pretty stoked about the Wisconsin Bike Summit in Madison on April 19. Last year Ron went on behalf of his employer. He was inspired by the summit, but disappointed to find that he was one of two people representing Waukesha County at the summit.

This year, though, we actually have an advocacy group and we can organize to make the Waukesha crowd a respectable size! Funding for bicycle infrastructure is in danger of being cut, and we have an opportunity to tell our representatives that even in conservative Waukesha County, bicycling has a lot of support. It is a big business in Wisconsin, plus it is an inexpensive way to solve many problems that government faces: school transportation, roads, pollution, and public health.

So, with that said, who is going to go? Are you planning on driving or would you like a ride? Are you going to bike to Madison on Monday? Let us know in the comments and we'll try to coordinate transportation!

4 comments:

  1. I have family in Madison and I was thinking about doing a slow, steady ride to Madison on Sunday and visiting my family on Sunday and Monday. I would therefore need a ride home on Tuesday night.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have 2 classes on that day, I wouldn't be able to be there until 1-1:30. So I guess I am undecided. When is time with the reps?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will post the meeting times with our representatives as soon as the Bike Fed informs me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. For those of us who live in the city of Waukesha and can't attend the summit, we can contact our representatives:

    WI Assembly District 97
    Bill Kramer
    Rep.Kramer@legis.wisconsin.gov
    608 266 8580
    Room 115 West
    State Capitol
    P.O. Box 8952
    Madison, WI 53708


    WI Senate District 33
    Rich Zipperer
    Sen.Zipperer@legis.wisconsin.gov
    608 266 9174
    Room 323 South
    State Capitol
    P.O. Box 7882
    Madison, WI 53707-7882

    Are Bike Fed/ WBA using any format for arguments in support of trails/ lanes/ etc.? Our reps response is likely to be, we can't afford them, we're broke, blah, blah, blah. One of the best apologetics I've read recently that refutes this nonsense is from the Over the Bars blog: http://overthebarsinmilwaukee.wordpress.com/2011/03/03/john-wayne-and-my-grandpa-would-not-like-walkers-budget/

    ReplyDelete